So I spent a week on the Norwegian Getaway cruise ship and it was probably one of the best weeks, well…ever! I had never even considered going on a cruise before but it turns out there are a million more things to do on a Cruise than you’d think and I had a pretty insane time trying to do as many of them as possible. Obviously I couldn’t try it all, but here’s a snapshot of what I did get up to and why maybe when you’re booking your next Summer holiday, you should think about a cruise! So here goes…35 awesome experiences I had on the Norwegian Getaway!
1. Wave goodbye to the Miami skyline
I’ll never forget seeing this view from my very own balcony the moment I walked into my stateroom – that was the moment I realised what a surreal and amazing trip I had arrived on!
2. Learn a dance routine
Yes, twosome the Norwegian Getaway might be a little bit like a floating Butlins, but learning cheesy dance moves as the ship sailed out of port at the Sail Away party was actually super fun….I quickly learned that the best way to enjoy cruise life was to dive straight in and try everything!
3. Drink a Bahama Mama
This was the first drink I had on the boat – I couldn’t tell you what was in it or even if it tasted good, but we kept ordering just for the name!
4. Walk the plank
On the high ropes course, obvs. You could climb across ladders, bridges and tightropes and even walk the plank suspended right out over the ocean – if you were brave enough! It was worth it just for the endless sea views.
5. See a Broadway Musical
Or two, in the on-board theatre! Both Million Dollar Quartet and Burn the Floor were incredible shows, and one of my trip highlights!
6. Learn to Salsa with the cast of Burn the Floor
There were dance class every day on deck, from line dancing to samba….it would have been rude not to try one!
7. Eat in a different restaurant every night of the week
The Norwegian Getaway is renowned for having amazing on-board food options, from seafood restaurants to Teppanyaki and the most amazing steakhouse. Did I eat way too much every day of the trip? Yes. Was it worth it? Also yes.
8. Go boating in Harvest Caye
9. Drink in an Ice Bar in the middle of the ocean
Because why not drink out of an ice glass wearing a poncho while you’re floating in the middle of the caribbean? It makes total sense….
10. Order 4 different types of chicken wings at 3am
O’Sheehans Irish bar was our saviour for late-night drunken munchies!
11. Drink a fireball
I met a new drink while I was cruising. It was soon my favourite shot, and quickly became the drink of the trip!
12. Do some open air dancing on deck
We danced at Spice H20 bar every night in the open air of the top deck. There was no better feeling of freedom than partying in the warm night air while sailing through the ocean!
13. Check out some very strange artwork in the on-board art auction
There are no words. All I know is I want to meet the person who created this masterpiece.
14. Sing along to rock classics with your chef as he cooks for you at Teppanyaki
Honestly, this guy was a stand-up genius! And his food tasted incredible.
15. Try 5 different types of Mojito at Sugarcane Mojito bar
With over 20 choices on the menu, it would be rude not to right?!
16. Eat a 32 oz steak at Cagney’s Steakhouse
Best. Steak. Ever.
17. Go tequila tasting in Mexico
We went tequila tasting and snorkelling in the same trip….apparently health and safety isn’t a big thing in Mexico…
18. Come back to your stateroom to find a towel animal on your bed every night
The funniest (and freakiest) thing to come back to in your room after a night out!
19. Watch the sunset from the top-deck spa
20. Throw a cocktail party in a hot tub
21. Eat & drink as much as you like without leaving your sun lounger
22. Get over-excited going souvenir shopping
I was this close to buying this sombrero….until I realised it wouldn’t fit in my luggage and I’d have to wear it on the plane!
23. Drink Corona on a beach in Mexcio and and pretend you’re in a corona advert
24. Dance with the locals in Honduras
25. See nothing but sea
I think I could have looked at this view every day forever…there’s nothing like open water!
26. Play the maracas
While wearing a mini sombrero…obviously.
27. Watch the poolside entertainment
There was always something happening by the pool – my personal favourite has got to be the ‘Mr Sexy Legs’ contest where random cruisers entered and had to dance to impress the judges (also random cruisers….) I laughed until I cried.
28. Go late-night bowling
In an Irish pub…on a ship floating in the Caribbean….yeah sure!
29. Join an impromptu pool party on deck
Apparently you just can’t hold cruisers down when it comes to pool parties.
30. Go snorkelling in turquoise seas off the coast of Mexico
Without a doubt the most beautiful sea I’ve ever seen,
31. Look at the views from your balcony at night
Watching the sea in the dark late at night was an amazing feeling.
32. Eat a whole platter of seafood to yourself at Ocean Blue
Lobster, Red Snapper and giant prawns. Yes, I’m a sucker for seafood and the food at Ocean Blue was incredible. And yes, of course I ate it all.
33. Do a photoshoot on your balcony
The fashion blogger inside me just couldn’t resist.
34. Slide down an (almost) vertical waterslide on deck
It felt way more vertical than it looks in this picture nd was actually pretty scary. You stand in the pod at the top and the floor falls away to send you plummeting down the slide – very addictive if you’re a closet adrenalin junkie like me!
35. Spend a week hanging out with the best press trip family ever!
Yes, the trip was amazing, but what made it the most amazing was the group of people I spent it with! They were the craziest, funniest family to have for a week – we even named ourselves the Fireball family. Special shoutout to Belinda from NCL’s press team – thank you for organising the trip of a lifetime! To find out more about Norwegian Getaway cruises check out the NCL website here.